The Demographic Transition

Today we did something a bit different in Human Geography class, that being we read over a packet and highlighted content which we felt was important to add on to our Population Unit. I was a bit surprised that we decided to visit Population again after going to Religion, which I feel is quite far off from Religion in some ways. The packet we reviewed (independently) had plenty of  great content, to a point where I was wondering whether I should stop highlighting, which I did. 

Now for a deeper dive into the packets information. Firstly, It went over things we had already discussed: Crude Birth Rate, Crude Death Rate, and Natural Rate of Increase but it put it into a better perspective, combing them all to create the four stages of The Demographic Transition. Simply put, these stages are: Very little growth/very little decline, Massive Population Boom, Massive Fall in Population, and then they all pretty much meet to settle the NIR but having a much higher population then the one we started with. Within each one of these stages, a movement is being made to sustain a higher population in which the nation must undergo rapid volatility with its population to achieve.

I was a bit disappointing that the article didn't use many North American countries as an example because that would have made some correlations easier then me having to go on my own and look at the history of these other nations population. I then began to wonder if it was for a reason regarding how developed the nation is and whether its economy (most importantly GDP PPP) was one which could sustain a large population until recently; since plenty of our examples occurred within the past 200 years. 

With that said, I conclude my December 3rd Blog Post, Till Next Time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cyber Day; Post 15

Cyber Day; Post Nine

Cyber Day; Post 11