Demographic Transition Videos

Demographic Transition Videos

Khan Academy Video:

1. I learned that the Religion can have a large impact on population within family sizes because these Religions usually promote larger families to produce more adherents.

2.  I was able to make more sense of how our growing population can be threatened by the limited resources contained on our Earth, which makes me wonder about how future generations will conserve their limited supply of these resources.

3. Lastly, I was startled to find that there may be a push for smaller families across the world because it is now more of a economical burden then support for your lifestyle; such as farming where having more kids would be of more use.

PCC Videos, The Demographic Transition Theory:

1. I was baffled to say the least when I found out that our world population (Throughout the past few thousand years) at grown at a pace of 67,000 people per year and our world now produces that much off spring in about 6-7 hours.

2. I started looking at the stages of the Demographic Transition as more of a series of events and industrialization then as people deciding that they wanted to have more kids. Though it is based around peoples wants, what was especially surprising is that these wants really revolve around their surrounding events and whether its practical/safe for them to do so.

3.  I found that in the past, children were seen as more of an asset then an actual child in which you are supposed to care for at all times. This change in recent centuries, has in return, turned children into more of a liability in which couples had chosen to not produce, slowing the birth rate in that period.

Why Populations Grow Video:

1. I found that the population (ignoring other factors) is set to decline in Europe because by looking at a Thematic Map, the Total Fertility Rate of most of those nations are below what it takes to grow the population, 2.1. Though we didn't discuss Migration (In Europe) and I would suspect that to be varying quite a lot in such a dense region such as Europe.

2. This video finally shed some light on some other factors in which I had wondered if they had any impact on the Population Growth. Those two being: War and Education, both of which I feel impact the environment of the population, in turn impacting your life expectancy and your chances to reproduce.

3.  I was able to extract plenty of useful information from the correlation the narrator made between the United Kingdom and countries such as Nigeria, showing that Industrialization and Education in combination can really impact the Population until certain factors of these things have been improved. The UK was more advanced in both of these sections then Nigeria (or surrounding countries) had been, in turn, causing a higher stage in the Demographic Transition.

Conclusion:
The video that definitely helped me the most was the last one (the Why Populations Grow Video) in which he showed plenty of data regarding how these factors that he had discussed previously impacted the population of these nations, especially their growth. I will admit though, if it weren't for the other videos, it would've been harder to understand and get all of the information out of the last video. Besides the last very informative video, I would've chosen the very first video since it focused on the consequences of a large future population.

With that said, I conclude my December 4th Blog Post.
 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cyber Day; Post 15

Cyber Day; Post Nine

Cyber Day; Post 11